If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (909) 548-3191

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold and Mildew Concerns

1/29/2020 (Permalink)

Mold Mold on floor joist

When something goes wrong in your home, it is natural to expect the worst. Many homeowners in the Chino/Chino Hills area are well-educated in regards to mold and the problems it can cause and while many of the homes in the area are relatively new, mold does not necessarily stick to a timeline. Trapped moisture behind a wall that has gone unnoticed or ignored can rapidly become a more serious (and expensive) issue.

Recently, our office was contacted by a homeowner in Chino Hills who was experiencing a chronic illness brought on by what was suspected to be a mold issue. After several rounds of antibiotics, she had had enough. We dispatched two technicians to the home to do an initial inspection in the garage and bathroom areas, respectively. We discovered a roof leak that had spread down into one of the walls and effectively destroyed the drywall. While seemingly a fairly black and white situation with a simple enough solution (cut open the wall, remove affected materials, dry out the wall’s interior), there was one glaring inconsistency: the affected wall was nowhere near the bathroom and the source of the earthen odor that is common with mold.

Our technicians deduced that since the roof had leaked in one place, it was reasonable enough to assume that it had leaked in another. After inspecting the bathroom, they discovered that the downstairs bathtub was being used as a storage area for extra towels and washcloths. Over the years, the bathtub faucet had dripped water onto the washcloths and they had begun to mold. The homeowner had no idea, due to the fact that the washcloths were buried beneath other items. The inspection showed no other signs of moisture in the bathroom, and the odor began to fade as soon as the washcloths were removed.

The homeowner was not only happy, but relieved. After so many rounds of heavy-duty medications and not knowing the culprit, she could finally find closure and begin to recover.

Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the ones that are overlooked. This situation is more common than you may think. In the midst of a seemingly major event, it is important to take a step back and assess the situation from a calm perspective. More often than not, it is an easy fix. If it is a major problem, your local SERVPRO of Chino / Chino Hills is here to help, 24/7, 365 days a year.

Other News

View Recent Posts